• Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

Re: String bands...

#16725 3 years, 5 months ago
Will do Chester. :0)

And sjfgreenman, thats not Hickory Project in that one video from Hickory Fest, those are two former members of Hickory Project whom Billy sat in with at Hickory Fest last summer. I won't go into details on all that other than to inform that Hickory Project no longer has anything to do with Hickory Fest. There is a Hickory Fest West in Colorado, last year was the first year, and as of right now I'm not sure they're will be another one this year or not. Either way that can get thrown together rather quickly.

We are working on something new and different. I'll keep ya's posted on the future as it develops more. Might be another year before it comes together but all the pieces are here and ready.
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#17003 3 years, 5 months ago
Psychograss is a good one that i've discovered recently. Them and Trampled by Turtles
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sandee823.
brobnsita
Junior Boarder
i'm in the world to change the world

#17006 3 years, 5 months ago
Cornmeal
Trampled by Turtles
The Infamous Stringdusters
The Hillbilly Gypsies
Greensky Bluegrass
Bearfoot
Psychograss
Tussey Mountain Moonshiners
laughin in her eyes, dancin in her feet
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#17013 3 years, 5 months ago
Ahh- how could i forget Hillbilly Gypsies!! Good stuff man
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#17033 3 years, 5 months ago
Nupsdog...LOL..The reason I posted those non-Hickory videos was to show you the others playing with Andy and each other and to ask you if they were former members since you didn't mention Billy or Sue in your response. I know they aren't in the band now, that's why I haven't followed their progress. I'll check out the "new" lineup, hopefully you got to see the Billy-Sue lineup back in the day since he's a friend. They were a great band.

I found them when I was trying out new fiddle tunes. I would do a search on a song like Angeline in the Live Music Archive and study the live versions. I don't play along to this version but listen to it often because it's so open, goes places. Give it a listen if you haven't already and have a few minutes.

OAITW tribute band? better yet! Great idea. I'm surprised by the many banjo players I meet who are influenced by Jerry's picking style. Then again, I live in SF.

Do they play sets like this show I posted? (below).

Please tell Billy his Moose guitar videos on youtube are much appreciated. He seems like a real down to earth guy for such a badass picker.

Disc 1 - Set 1
01) Bangers & Mash
02) Head Over Heels
03) I'll Take The Blame
04) Breakfast In Sydney
05) Mine, Mine, Mine
06) Ain't Misbehavin'
07) In The Mood
08) Friend Of The Devil
09) Carbondale!
10) Walls Of Time
11) Angeline The Baker

Disc 2 - Set 2
01) Brown County
02) Hearts In Carolina
03) Waltz Of The Morning
04) The Love Each Other
05) Dawgapelli
06) Reach
07) Roundtop
08) Heartbreak Mountain
09) Fiddle Medley
10) The Breeze
11) Orange Blossom Special

Hickory Project is:
Sue Cunningham - fiddle & vocals
Anthony Hannigan - mandolin
Billy Gilmore - guitar
Steve Belcher - bass
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by sjfgreenman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#17118 3 years, 5 months ago
Ha ha, my bad, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yeah Sue and Danny are both former members of HP. Albeit Danny has sat in with them last year for one or two shows when it wasn't conducive for Mark to fly out for one night here and one night there. And as I said Billy still sits in with them whenever his schedule allows or paths cross.

The O&ITW tribute band is Garcia Grass and you can find them as well as Hickory Project on the Archive.
Have a listen to one of the better shows they played. Mike was just on fucking fire this night.

www.archive.org/details/garciagrass2010-10-23.digigal.flac16
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#19093 3 years, 5 months ago
Lots of good groups mentioned here, great links too.

My current #1 string band is Brown Chicken Brown Cow String Band

Too much fun!

bcbcsb.com/
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by PMoondancer .
Nupsdog
Junior Boarder

#19230 3 years, 5 months ago
sjfgreenman, who is Andy????

Some more local flavors from up this way include a band by the name of Driftwood. They're really excellent group of folks and we've been fortunate enough to showcase each of them individually at our Acoustic Sessions Series. Each of them are very talented in other areas of music as well.

Here's there whole show from WSKG's Expressions Concert series.
Lynx
Visitor

#19271 3 years, 5 months ago
Thank you all for posting so many great bands. I feel like I have bucket-loads of new material to listen to!

Oh and BTW Greensky put on one hell of a show in Burlington a few days ago! People who aren't into string bands just don;t know what they're missing!
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#19384 3 years, 5 months ago
Check these Ladys out, The Wailin' Jennys

www.thewailinjennys.com/home.aspx

Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by the highway terror.
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds