• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
mindleftbody
Fresh Boarder

JK's playing on the 11

#42477 3 years, 1 month ago
not trying to be overly critical because I love what the band is doing right now... but the thing that always gets me is that JK always seems to come in to the first lead of the song a measure too late, after the intro build up to the song. IMO I wish they could try to sync it up so that the opening of the song matches with the guitar riff better, it would really add a lot to the momentum of the song. just my $.02

<3 furthur
AOXOMOXOA
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: JK's playing on the 11

#42495 3 years, 1 month ago
mindleftbody wrote:
not trying to be overly critical because I love what the band is doing right now... but the thing that always gets me is that JK always seems to come in to the first lead of the song a measure too late, after the intro build up to the song. IMO I wish they could try to sync it up so that the opening of the song matches with the guitar riff better, it would really add a lot to the momentum of the song. just my $.02

<3 furthur

not all the time but you at 100% ont hat...he often misses his intro on this particular song i think it is an issue with counting the time from russo...it is not easy though, playing 11 beats/measure is difficult...just the other night in bethel it was botched...something to work on

when he hits it though, he hits it out of the park
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
intothesun
Visitor

#42501 3 years, 1 month ago
This is the problem...too many of you are afraid to be crytical and hurt peoples feelings and good times. Phil lesh and bob weir are on stage. Thats all i care about. Even if its just them and a guy bangin a tin can, I'm fuckin stoked. I dont need to hear anyone at at besides phil really. I'll go stand ina a field of mud with wild pigs and listen to just phil solo for 3 hours...and then he can point to the crowd of pigs and me and we'll phil in the words..."Come in a round , commina roooUUNNd...ddaa dda dda d ad a ....spanish lady come to me , she lays on me this rose." Point is, if jk sounds like crap don't be afraid to say so. Ive been telling myself that he knows the material and is a fan and is in DSO orchstra, but it aint panning out. Mark Karan and Steve Kimock both are better guitarists than jk. Yes jk is a nice guy and he loves the dead which is important and he doesnt sound TERRIBLE, but as fans you have the right to spit the truth without feeling like you're complaining. I mean this is our favorite band, I think we have the right to be crytical of our own fav band so they have a good lineup. Maybe jk is trying not to sound like jerry a little too much in fear that he would be a copycat and want to be a little original. I say...try to sound just like jerry as much as you want...its a better sound than doing your own thing and tryin to be original....atleast kimock and Karan wee original but are better guitarists BY FAR...not a putdown...a fact...they are capable of doin thier own thing and intertwining with phil at the same time. the eleven is one of the best songs...what a sin the f that one up...geeez
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#42580 3 years, 1 month ago
intothesun wrote:
This is the problem...too many of you are afraid to be crytical and hurt peoples feelings and good times. Phil lesh and bob weir are on stage. Thats all i care about. Even if its just them and a guy bangin a tin can, I'm fuckin stoked. I dont need to hear anyone at at besides phil really. I'll go stand ina a field of mud with wild pigs and listen to just phil solo for 3 hours...and then he can point to the crowd of pigs and me and we'll phil in the words..."Come in a round , commina roooUUNNd...ddaa dda dda d ad a ....spanish lady come to me , she lays on me this rose." Point is, if jk sounds like crap don't be afraid to say so. Ive been telling myself that he knows the material and is a fan and is in DSO orchstra, but it aint panning out. Mark Karan and Steve Kimock both are better guitarists than jk. Yes jk is a nice guy and he loves the dead which is important and he doesnt sound TERRIBLE, but as fans you have the right to spit the truth without feeling like you're complaining. I mean this is our favorite band, I think we have the right to be crytical of our own fav band so they have a good lineup. Maybe jk is trying not to sound like jerry a little too much in fear that he would be a copycat and want to be a little original. I say...try to sound just like jerry as much as you want...its a better sound than doing your own thing and tryin to be original....atleast kimock and Karan wee original but are better guitarists BY FAR...not a putdown...a fact...they are capable of doin thier own thing and intertwining with phil at the same time. the eleven is one of the best songs...what a sin the f that one up...geeez

i'm confused brother...we have laid out our criticism for JK's playing on this song, no one is side stepping it or glorifying him....seems like you'd want to post this on a thread where everyones been kissing johns ass....jk does not sound like a garcia replica because phil and bob DON'T WANT HIM TO...they've made it very clear in interviews that they didn't want a garcia copycat...in fact their search first began at the furthest thing from that...they picked john because he knew the material, had a passion for the music, and was willing to learn. they are trying to help him find his voice...they know he has mass amounts of talent, he just hasn't channeled into his own thing....yet
intothesun
Visitor

#42586 3 years, 1 month ago
i agree. But kimock and karan are WAAAY better. Id rather hear just Phil and Bob sing and the music be fresh and sounding ace
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#42594 3 years, 1 month ago
intothesun wrote:
i agree. But kimock and karan are WAAAY better. Id rather hear just Phil and Bob sing and the music be fresh and sounding ace

they're way better for your taste, that's great man. everyones got preference....would be cool to hear those lineups...phil and bob constitute i'd say close to 75% of the vocals with this band, maybe slightly less...i prefer the vocal range you get with the front 3 and the backups...how many shows have you seen on this tour so far? the music has been sounding very fresh, i'd suggest checking out the dark star from jones beach...all the recordings are up on archive...aside from just he dark star, listen to the shows...i think they sound a lot more innovative than most of the spring shows and i saw all of those...the past 3 shows i saw here on the summer tour had a lot more jams that didn't sound 'pre-planned' if you know what i mean...the creativity level is at a new, different kind of high with the band
intothesun
Visitor

#42623 3 years, 1 month ago
cool beans.
Time to create page: 0.92 seconds